Spruce believes that our generation has so much to give to the causes we care about, so we put out the call for area nonprofits to advertise their opportunities to get involved in our newsletter. Please read on for this month’s opportunities! (Disclaimer: Please note that as an all-volunteer organization, Spruce is not able to vet these organizations or opportunities and encourages you to do your own research.)
About the Opportunity: Coaching is one of the most rewarding ways to be involved with Girls on the Run. In working directly with a team of 3rd-5th grade girls or 6th-8th grade girls, coaches teach them healthy lifestyle lessons while training them for the culminating Girls on the Run 5K.
Who is a Girls on the Run coach?
Girls on the Run coaches are enthusiastic, dedicated, and positive women of all different backgrounds! Some are athletes and some are not; most have never coached before. All are committed to empowering girls with valuable life lessons. Coaches must have availability on weekday afternoons, twice per week over a 12 week fall or spring season.
What is the commitment?
- 10-week programs are offered each fall and spring. (The Spring 2018 season will begin on March 5, 2018).
- Practices are twice per week and last 90 minutes each immediately following the school-day (approx. between 3:00 and 5:00 PM).
- A team will consist of three to four coaches and teams of 15 – 20 girls between 3rd and 5th grade or 6th and 8th grade.
- Attendance at one half-day coach training utilizing the GOTR® curriculum.
- Spring 2018 coach training will take place the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, February 2 from 5:00 – 9:30 PM, Karabots Pediatric Care Center, 4865 Market Street
- Saturday, February 10 from 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM, Norwood Fontbonne Academy, 8900 Norwood Avenue
- Tuesday, February 12 from 5:00 – 9:30 PM, Karabots Pediatric Care Center, 4865 Market Street
- Thursday, March 1 from 5:00 – 9:30 PM, Exude, 325 Chestnut Street, Suite 1000
- CPR/First Aid Certification offered Saturday, September 16 from 2:00-4:00 PM, Norwood Fontbonne Academy, 8900 Norwood Avenue
- Attendance at one in-person coach training session is mandatory.
- Meeting with co-coaches and school/program site liaison.
- CPR Training required for head coaches plus one additional coach at each site.
- Attendance at practices twice per week during the 12-week season.
- Weekly lesson prep time.
- Attendance at the end of season Girls on the Run 5K.
- Commitment and consistency is critical to the success of the GOTR program!
- All coaches must plan to attend all practices, two days per week for the duration of the 10-week season.
Interested in more information about this opportunity? Contact Carrie Peck, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com
About the opportunity: Sky Community Partners is a local non-profit that provides programs to underserved, low income families and individuals by collaborating with high-performing organizations to increase educational opportunities, increase health awareness and access, and improve outcomes for at-risk communities in Philadelphia. We are often looking for volunteers to support our outreach efforts throughout the year:
- Attending community events where we provide information about or organization
- Helping to facilitate workshops for Parents/Students
- Volunteering at one of our major events
- December- Annual Fundraiser/Awards Ceremony
- April- Annual 5K & Health Fair in South Philadelphia
Interested in more information about this opportunity? Contact Portia Fullard; at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the opportunity: In January of 2015, KPB launched a volunteer educator program – through which we train and then schedule amazing volunteers to give presentations in schools throughout Philadelphia on recycling, litter, why community beautification matters and how to take action in our neighborhoods. This year alone, we are on track to reach 4700 young Philadelphians with our message of environmental stewardship. Our interactive workshops were developed in partnership with the School District and the Philadelphia Streets Department.
Interested in more information about this opportunity? Contact Michelle Feldman at email@example.com at 215-854-4000.
About the opportunity: We are looking for someone to assist in our Math and English SAT Prep Classes. We are also looking for workshop opportunities in Career Development, College Assess, Health, STEAM.
Interested in more information about this opportunity? Contact Avery Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org, program director for Main College Bound Program
Author: Elizabeth Starrantino
Elizabeth Starrantino is a Spruce Foundation alumni board member and chair of the organization’s communications committee. She spent five years in non-profit marketing and fundraising, and knows from first-hand experience the difference dedicated, enthusiastic, hard-working volunteers make to move organizations forward. She got involved with the Spruce Foundation because she knows her peers have the skills and drive to be those volunteers and make that difference, and she wants to help connect them to the causes that need them so they can start making Philadelphia even more awesome than it already is.